The Mary C. Jenkins Community Center Board of Directors is pleased to announce the second annual poetry contest to celebrate Black History Month and Brevard’s progress to re-establish the community center in the historic Rosenwald area.
Who is eligible? Transylvania County residents of all ages! Poems will be divided into 4 age groups: 0-elementary school, middle school, high school, and adults.
• Poems must relate to the experiences of African Americans.
• Each individual may enter one poem. Poems must be original work by the individual.
• Poems may be of any length or style.
• Winners must agree to be interviewed and photographed and their poem posted on Mary C. Jenkins Community Center social media, as well as printed in The Transylvania Times newspaper.
Cash prizes to winners! $100.00 cash to the winning poet in each age category. Announcement of winners: Winning poems will be announced in March. Judges: Mary C. Jenkins Community Center Board members
• Entries must include a poem along with the name, age, school (if applicable), and phone number and address. If a poet is under 18 years old, contact information for the legally responsible adult must accompany the entry.
• Poems will be accepted Tuesday, February 1st through Monday, February 28th.
• Poem entries can be submitted either on paper or electronically:
Drop off or mail to: Brevard City Hall, Mayor’s Office, 95 W. Main Street, Brevard, NC 28712
Text: 828-421-8615 (Nicola Karesh, MCJCC Board)
Email: email@example.com (Nicola Karesh, MCJCC Board)