The City of Brevard has taken measures in readiness of expected heavy snowfall on Sunday. The Public Works Department will mobilize equipment, crews, ice melt application, snow plowing and road closures as conditions warrant.
The City will continuously monitor conditions to ensure the safe operating condition of city owned streets. These streets will be cleared based on the following priorities:
- Main thoroughfares
- Primary through Streets
- Secondary Streets
- Cul-de-sacs and No Outlets
City crews will also clear Heart of Brevard Business District Handicap Ramps at intersections as well as City owned parking lots.
The public can help by:
- Observe and follow weather forecasts and warnings.
- Stock necessities prior to the predicted storm.
- Check on elderly, handicapped and sick family members and neighbors before a storm begins to ensure they are warm and have necessities.
- We encourage citizens to remove parked vehicles, garbage and recycle containers from streets prior to any storm to ensure plows can maneuver safely.
- To avoid accidents, keep children, sleds and pets off streets.
- Be patient. Expect delays and observe conditions before attempting travel during or immediately following snowfall.
State owned roads will be cleared by NC DOT.
As a reminder, should you need service for water or sewer issues, during normal business hours Monday through Friday 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM, please call the Public Works Department at 884-2171, Option 4. This may be to report a water leak, a sewer blockage or other service related issues with water or sewer.
After hours or on holidays, please call the Brevard Police Department at 883-2212 for “on-call” assistance.