News Flash

Home - News Carousel

Posted on: August 20, 2018

Know When to Get Permits

Stack of Building Plans

Adding a new deck? Remodelling and expanding a bedroom? Want to build a little apartment for the mother-in-law over your garage? Maybe a new fence?

Don’t forget, you probably need permits! Unless all you have planned is a fresh coat of paint and some new furniture from Ikea, you should call the Transylvania County Building Inspections Department at (828) 884-3209 to inquire about building permits. If you live in the City of Brevard or its ETJ (the area outside the city limits but still subject to zoning) you should call the City Planning Department (828) 885-5630, and speak with someone about your project.

If you are unsure about where your property lies within the county, you can visit to check.

Generally, anything related to construction requires permitting; new buildings, new plumbing for that old bathroom, or even just replacing the old air conditioner should all be permitted.

Some projects like new gardens, a swing set for the kids, or new mailboxes don’t need to be permitted. If you have any questions, or you are not sure if a permit is required, please call one of the numbers above before beginning work or ordering materials.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Home - News Carousel


Buy a Brick, Help Rebuild the Depot!

Posted on: February 5, 2018
bikes along a fence

150th Schedule of Events

Posted on: April 27, 2018
City workers on the road

Transportation Project Priorities

Posted on: April 27, 2018